and it’s going to be a crazy-busy one.  again.  i’m enjoying a few minutes of sitting down right now, but soon i will be a little too busy fora monday.

meanwhile…here’s the rest of june, which was also kinda crazy.

amy and jim adopted a darling, sweet italian greyhound – my friend jill told them about this little fellow who had been dropped off at the animal shelter.  he had strangely crooked teeth, and a pendulous thing dangling from his throat.  poor little guy.

amy and i picked him up, and he was so anzious, sitting on my lap, trying to get out and jump down, so amy got a big warm blanket from the back and covered my legs so they wouldn’t get shredded.  it was an incredibly hot day, so a blanket with a squirmy dog on top was just the thing.  their other dogs were in the back seat, because we immediately took them all for a walk as way of introduction.  it went well, except amy kept wanting to run, and i’d already been running a lot that day, plus did i mention it was very very hot?  but noodle, who basically can’t stand other dogs, was a very very good boy.

here is their new puppy, pre-surgery, in the big crate with numie. he’s not actually a puppy; they think he might be eight years old, but he’s very tiny – a miniature numie.

they bonded quickly, which was wonderful.  numie always wanted to play, but noodle wasn’t so interested.  now numie has somebody who is all about the playing!

here’s Sweet Pea (isn’t that a great name?), before he had all but two of his rotten teeth pulled.  no wonder he was digging around on his mouth when we picked him up from the shelter!

numie and sweet pea, trying to relax on the couch.

the surgery went well, and the dangling thing wasn’t cancerous, whew…but then the big incision in his neck started to swell, and they had many issues with that.  at one point, on a sunday, they had to drive him to the U of I in Champaign, where we’d taken mollie so many times, because the incision kept leaking.  they did all kinds of tests and it was a very long day, but they determined that his blood wasn’t clotting; it’s something that was bred into greyhounds so that everything would be fast fast fast for the racing…but his blood clotted, but was immediately broken down.

they gave him drugs, and said it was critical that he not move around much.

this is almost impossible with an italian greyhound.  amy and jim gave him sedatives, but he was still totally full of energy, so it was like a doggie hospital over there – they had to try to keep everybody calm so that Sweet Pea wouldn’t get excited and run around like crazy.  Plus, Noodle had some kind of oozy thing going on on his belly, and they had to wrap him in bandages, and then numie was picking all the fur off the end of this tail, and they found out this was because he was stressed.

doggie hospital.


meanwhile…i power-washed the back deck off the bedroom because it was hazardous, covered with all kinds of whatever slime grows on wood if you don’t clean it.  kevin stained it, and it looks great (why have i no photos???), and then i decided i needed to transplant a giant hosta and fill in this place that had been a mass of noxious weeds which i’d always try to pull and would promptly grow back.

it looks good back there now, except, of course, i have to keep pulling the weeds, but at least they’ not so prevalent.  for now, anyway.

as i was furiously digging, i ran into some bricks – clearly, dad put these in, for a walkway…but i’m not exactly sure why.  they ended at the edge of the house; maybe it was a way to get over to the faucet without having to tromp through the weeds and mud.  i planned to power wash the bricks, but it rained so much that they got all clean without my help.

lester, who loves to lie out on his own private patio.  i’m sure he thoroughly appreciates how clean it is.

one of the many storms we’ve had this summer.  we’ll remember it as the summer with all that rain.

this was a fine day for Les; a giant catfish floated down by the dock, and lester was fascinated.

one of our rare boat rides, we saw this group of duck decoys in front of some actual ducks.

and then it hailed! even though the weatherman is always threatening hail, it rarely, rarely happens.  this was pretty big hail, and when we stood in the hot tub room the noise was so deafening that we couldn’t even hear each other talking.

my friend erica has now moved to tennessee, but before she left she took this great selfie with he sweet cat heidi.  i love this picture.

we celebrated randy’s birthday at the end of may, but before the celebration i wanted to get a photo with randy in the b’day hat.  i was looking pretty awful, had been working in the yard, and wanted to document that, but amy insisted that i look good – she combed my hair and made me put a decent shirt over the ratty one i was wearing!  so it doesn’t even matter that i have no “after”photo, when i got dressed up to go out.

and there it is, JUNE!  and there’s still an entire week left of july!  well, five more days, anyway.

ok then,

mrs. busy for now hughes.