this morning, when i could have slept in, i woke up at 6:25.  much, much too early, but theoretically i could accomplish many things this morning.  probably won’t happen, but there’s always that slim possibility.  it’s more likely that i’ll sit around for a good long time, trying to wake up.

here’s the red cactus i bought a few years ago.  this is the first time it’s bloomed, and the blooms are fluffier and have lasted longer than the pink christmas cactuses that i have, that i’ve had for a long time.  i bought this red one on impulse when running into wal mart, along with a white one and a yellow one.  the others didn’t survive, except a stem from the white one, which i stuck in with the red one so now i have different-colored blooms, at least a couple of white ones anyway.

this is the very first picture i took with my new huge phone, not very exciting i know.  i’m finally pleased with the phone, after having one million troubles trying to set it up.  i’d backed up my old phone onto my computer and te woman at verizon spent an hour and a half trying to help me get it uploaded to my new phone, and then she was finally satisfied that it was working right, she hung up.

but then i realized that instead of uploading all my contacts and apps and notes i’d written on my old phone, instead, it had uploaded about 2,500 photos from my computer, and that’s all.  this was last thursday evening, and i was so frustrated and annoyed and just wanted to throw the phone out the window.  i couldn’t use my old phone because it had been deactivated, and i tried to call verizon on my new phone, but i could only make an emergency call and the phone didn’t think that calling verizon was an emergency.

i finally decided that maybe apple could help me, so i looked them up on my computer and it claimed that if i gave them a call back number, they’d call within two minutes.  so i borrowed kevin’s phone and a nice guy did actually call me back, really quickly.

he managed to talk me off the ledge, and explained that at some point the phone had been backed up but the backup had been encrypted with a secret code that couldn’t be found or restored or changed or anything.  i’m thinking that since this used to be amy’s phone, after i dropped my old phone in the lake, that maybe she encrypted it, because i tried millions of different passwords that i have.

but luckily, even though i can’t back things up into the cloud, some stuff had been backed up anyway.  my apps and my contacts, anyway.  all the very critical notes i’d written about many different topics, like “summer 2017” were gone.  there were only a few old photos on the phone, but that was ok because they’re on the computer. the video i took of mollie when we went to Site M a couple of months before she died is still on the phone, and that made me happy.

and i can still turn on the old phone and see the notes, and i’ve been talking-to-texting them onto my new phone, and also finding that many of the notes aren’t quite as critical as they seemed.

so, three hours later, everything was hunky dory.


here’s chester on his new huge box.  he loves to sit on top of it and survey his surroundings, but he also likes to curl up inside it.    you see that there’s another box next to this one; maybe i can take that box away now, because i never see him in it anymore.  i’m trying to keep things around here to a one-box limit.

the next day, les and i took another good walk in the yard.  here he is, being very good, not even going down to the water to teeter on the rocks.

maybe the beavers has finished feasting on my bushes.  jill says i can look up online how to prevent this from happening.  maybe that’s how i can be productive this morning.


a couple of the many photos i took of the sunrise, the morning i got up so early.  and again this morning, so early, what’s up with that?


hopefully it’ll be a productive day, although on the other hand maybe a nap will be in order.

ok then,

mrs. thursday hughes.